Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Michigan Governor Granholm Vetoes Marriage Bill

Detroit Free Press

I'm not sure if I covered this already but Governor Granholm "vetoed a package of bills that would encourage premarital counseling for couples and require counseling for married couples with children who are about to divorce. She said the bills were too intrusive on private decisions."

I would like to see, in particular, divorcing couples with children go into counseling.... However, I do understand and respect the resistance to bring the government any further into family life.

"Let me be clear: Marriage preservation is a very important issue," she wrote in her veto letter. "But the decisions men and women make about marriage are private decisions. State government should not expand its role into such private matters."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blog Directory